Author: Daniel Guillermo Alonso
Date: March 2022
Buttons and physical appearance
The Alcatel 2019G has a numeric keypad with large, illuminated keys and has sufficient separation between the buttons, which makes it possible to avoid pressing them at the same time. It includes a 2,4'' (6,1 cm) color screen with plenty of brightness. The size of the texts displayed on this screen are large enough to distinguish them without difficulty.
On its sides are the volume, flashlight and keyboard lock buttons (Useful to prevent keys from being accidentally pressed when carrying the phone in your pocket, for example).
Menu and texts
To navigate through the different menu categories, simply press the volume keys or the sides of the OK button from left to right. There are a total of 9 categories:
- FM radio
To enter a category, press the OK key.
If the user gets lost in the menus, he can comfortably return to the initial state by pressing the red end-hook key, which works as a back key, as many times as required to exit the submenus that have been entered.
To enter text with the keyboard, two text input modes are offered: normal (consists of pressing a number key several times in a row until the character you want is displayed) or predictive. To change from one mode to another, press the key with the symbol .
It is worth mentioning that the mobile has the option of programming its automatic on and off.
In general, although to access some features you have to move through the menus a lot, such as to deactivate the radio, having to enter the radio menu and press the option to turn off, navigation ends up being intuitive and easy to access.
This functionality, present in most telephones for the elderly, allows that, by pressing the SOS button, a configurable distress call and message is sent to the chosen contact. An interesting functionality that it incorporates is that of having the possibility of configuring a list of up to 5 contacts ordered by call priority so that, if the first contact does not take the call, they automatically go on to call the next one on the list, and so on.
In addition, when pressing the SOS button, the terminal will emit an alarm sound so that people who are nearby can attend to the emergency.
The button is quite visible and easily identifiable by touch, and is located on the back of the phone with the letters SOS written on it.
A very interesting functionality of the Alcatel 2019G's SOS button, which many of its competitors do not have, is that of remaining communicating for a maximum of 15 seconds per contact, moving on to the next contact on the list if it is not picked up within that margin. The advantage of this is to avoid, as far as possible, the answering machine from ringing, which would cause the call loop of the emergency contact list to end.
Another positive point is that this button is not affected by the keyboard lock, and can be used at any time.
Calls and SMS
After carrying out numerous test calls, it can be confirmed that the listening quality is good. The maximum volume is acceptable, but since it is a mobile designed for the elderly, it would be nice if it had the option to increase the volume above its maximum for those who are hard of hearing. It has a hands-free option, which can be easily activated by pressing the OK key during the call.
Coverage has been very good during the trial period, although it has only been tested in urban areas.
To write an SMS, simply enter the messages category and select the option to write a message. Selecting the contact to send the message to is easy.
In addition, it presents speed dialing, being able to assign contacts to the keys from 2 to 9. This option is a bit hidden, having to select the contact options and then the category others, where the speed dial option will appear. Once a contact has been assigned to a key, all you have to do is press that key for a few seconds to make a call.
On the back is a 2MP camera. To access it, select the camera category in the main menu. Once inside, all you have to do is press the OK button to take pictures. If an SD card is inserted, videos can also be taken.
The camera is not of great quality, but it is in the line of phones in this range and, for the type of mobile it is, it is more than enough.
The phone includes a small piece of paper that acts as a quick guide.
The manual is not included, but can be downloaded from the following link:
FM radio and audio playback
The terminal includes a recorder and allows you to play audio. It supports AMR and WAV files.
It also has FM radio, which has the advantage of not needing to connect headphones to work, and can be heard directly through the built-in speaker. The audio quality is good and it has a correct tuning. The radio on and off is not very agile, having to go through the menu to perform these tasks.
A charger is included with a charging station that has only one possible position and a good fit for the phone. When the mobile is correctly connected to the charging base, a message will appear on the screen with the text "Charging" to ensure that it is charging correctly.
The battery has a capacity of 970 mAh, which provides autonomy of about 14 days on standby and about 16 hours in continuous use on calls.
The phone allows you to add an SD card of up to 32 GB, which will be necessary to store videos.
It features 2G communication and has a Bluetooth version 2.1.
During the analysis there have been difficulties in accessing the internet browsing option, although the manual provides that this functionality exists.
Flashlight, calendar, alarm and calculator
The terminal features a flashlight that can be activated via a dedicated side button. The light it provides is enough to cover the most common needs.
The calculator and calendar are located in the tools category. The calculator allows you to perform addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. The calendar allows you to schedule voice alarms for the selected date and time.
The alarms are easy to program and allow different configuration options, such as the possibility of selecting the number of repetitions and their repetition frequency or assigning a personalized audio recording as an alarm tone or activating the radio.
There are three points to highlight about the accessibility of the terminal:
- Dialing numbers to call a phone will be played via audio.
- It does not have a screen reader as in the case of iOS or Android mobiles.
- Features HAC hearing aid compatibility.
The Alcatel 2019G has proven to be a phone that easily meets the main demands of the elderly, being an accessible and easy-to-use phone, with a quite useful SOS button and some interesting features such as the possibility of using the radio through its speaker. without the need to use headphones. It presents some points to improve as an excess of navigation in certain sub-menus to access some features, but the general sensations are good, and it is a terminal to take into account when choosing a phone in this range.
- Its compact design with large, well-separated keys.
- The battery has a great autonomy.
- Calls are easy to make and hands-free access is possible with the touch of a key.
- The FM radio does not require headphones to be connected to work and can be heard through the speaker.
- The SOS button has improved over its predecessor, the Alcatel 2008G, being quite identifiable and easy to use in an emergency. In addition, it includes several configuration options that are quite useful. An interesting functionality that it incorporates is that emergency calls do not communicate for more than 15 seconds in order to prevent the answering machine from picking up in most cases, which would cause the call loop to end.
- The charging base is easy and comfortable to use, having a single latching position.
- The use of dedicated buttons to turn on the flashlight and to lock and unlock the device.
- It would be interesting if it had the possibility of using a quick key to perform some functions such as turning the radio on and off, since it is not very agile to have to access the radio from the menu to turn it on and off.
- It would be nice if it included an SD card or a minimum of internal storage that would allow the possibility of making videos without the need to buy an SD card separately.
- The maximum call volume, being considerably high and being at the level of telephones and smartphones on the market, it may not be sufficient for those with hearing problems.
- Despite including a small start-up guide and having the complete manual available on its web page, taking into account that the device is designed for older people who may have difficulties using the internet, it would be more convenient if a physical copy of the manual were included. Handbook.
- It does not seem that these types of phones are bought for having the possibility of surfing the internet, but in case you want to do it, this is not the right phone for it.